One of the reasons you bought a home in Los Angeles is because you fell in love with its iconic beauty and historical architecture. Perhaps it was the lavish interior decorating that initially attracted you, or maybe it was being able to envision the horse-drawn streetcars that used to dot the landscape during the turn of the 20th century.
Whatever path you may have taken to home ownership in one of the most charming cities in the world, you probably weren't thinking about the removal and replacement of old, dirty, ineffective insulation. It is, however, a very important part of creating a safe and happy home environment for your family.
Insulation today isn't just about reducing your cooling costs or keeping the chilly air out when the mercury dips a bit in the winter. The modern family requires a home with soundproof walls. Pure Eco Inc. is available to assist with all of your Soundproofing needs including sound proofing of your walls, call us now at 877-778-2551 to see how we can help!
Keeping Noise Out, Or In
Every room in your home was created with a specific purpose in mind. Whether it's a nursery where you want to keep noise from activities in the rest of the house out or a media room where you want to keep the sound of music or video games from seeping into your neighbor's bedroom when he is trying to sleep, soundproof walls are the solution.
The type of soundproofing insulation you choose, along with proper installation, is key to keeping unwanted noises from travelling. The most effective soundproofing insulation on the market today is Roxul, and it is the only insulation used by Pure Eco. It will fit in easily between your studs like other insulation, but it contains a life-changing component, a unique material called stone wool.
Discovered as a natural by-product of volcanic activity, it is reproduced by combining basalt (stone) and steel slag (steel wool) through a unique process. This stone wool is used to create two separate products, Roxul Safe 'N' Sound for interior walls, and Roxul Comfort Batt for walls that have an exterior side.
An Acoustic Upgrade and More
When considering whether to create soundproof walls in your home, it is important to note the many other benefits that are a part of installing Roxul products in your home. In addition to the top-tier sound eliminating and dampening components, the list of other advantages is quite impressive:
- Safety - Roxul is made from non-combustible materials and can withstand extremely high temperatures. It will not catch fire and actually stop the spread of fire! And when it does come in contact with a heat source, it will not give off any dangerous fumes.
- Water-Repellent - Roxul, unlike most insulation brands, is not affected by water. Mold, mildew, or bacteria cannot grow on it, which is an important consideration, especially if you have young children, the elderly, or allergy sufferers in your household.
- No Corrosion - Roxul will not become corroded or allow the formation of any other unwanted materials, which keeps it in "like new" condition.
- Lightweight - Considering the fact that an extra layer of drywall is usually added as part of the soundproofing process, adding lightweight insulation is a critical step in order to keep the walls from getting too heavy.
- Longevity - Roxul is built to last for decades and will not change its shape over time, so it remains in place and prevents gaps from forming.
- Lower Energy Bills - Roxul insulation can be installed in your home's walls or ceilings, attic or basement, for optimal energy efficiency. You may be able to save up to 30% on your energy bills with Roxul insulation. And since you will be helping the planet by reducing your carbon footprint, you will qualify for federal and/or state incentive programs that will save you even more money. Ask us about local Los Angeles area incentive programs, too. We will gladly assist you with the application process to make sure you qualify for the maximum savings.
- Protects the Environment - Both Roxul and Pure Eco are focused on protecting the environment for future generations. The manufacturing process is geared towards meeting or exceeding the world's highest health standards. Produced from a combination of all-natural and recycled materials, it is GreenGuard certified, and if you are a business pursuing LEED certification, it qualifies you to earn points towards that certification.
No multiple contractors are necessary when you hire Pure Eco to handle your soundproof wall installation. Pure Eco keeps things simple for you by handling all the details, saving you time and money. We have extensive experience in all aspects of installation in both homes and businesses in the greater Los Angeles area.
As a family-owned and operated business in the local area, we are invested in your community. Our goals are to help you live a more comfortable life while saving you money and improving our local environment. Our installation specialists will provide you with quality workmanship and fast, friendly service.
Pure Eco will work with you from start to finish, explaining your options and giving you a fair quote so you get the best return on your investment and are pleased with the end result.
Green Sky Credit
Financing is always an option, and with our Green Sky Credit Program, you are being financed for improving the environment, along with the job itself, and the result is a job well done that is energy efficient. This will save you money for years to come.
Pure Eco is well informed about how this financing program works and what is necessary to qualify, and we will be happy to guide you through the process.
Blown Versus Batts
Blown insulation is just that; it is installed with a blower hose connected to an insulation truck, and it can be used in any area of your home. It is especially helpful for insulating hard to reach or odd shaped areas.
Blown insulation is available in various types:
- Mineral Wool, which we discussed earlier, is the ideal choice for soundproofing, due to, among other things, it is highly fire and water resistant.
- Fiber Glass, which we will discuss in more detail later on in this article, is an option, but it's very lightweight, so you would need to install a lot of it to get a layer thick enough for soundproofing.
- Cellulose is a popular choice, but made of recycled newspapers, so it doesn't hold up well to moisture. It does have a higher R-Value than fiberglass, though.
Batts insulation is less expensive and easier to install than blown insulation, although it may not fill the spaces as tightly. However, if batts insulation is correctly installed, it is adequate for most insulation needs. A vapor barrier backer is a good idea to prevent condensation from accumulating. Among other details, they have to be faced in the correct direction based on your climate zone. At Pure Eco, we know all the details necessary for a successful installation.
Common batts insulation materials include:
- Cotton is made from recycled jeans and has a high R-Value, so it is a very effective sound blocker but also very expensive.
- Fiberglass is the least expensive option and does an adequate job, but it can be very irritating to your skin and lungs if inhaled during the installation process.
- Cellulose has the potential to be irritating to your skin and lungs, because it has to be treated for fire and insect resistance. It is also not as readily available.
- Mineral wool is an outstanding insulator and sound blocker, and it is resistant to just about everything.
Roxul Insulation Versus Other Materials
Mineral wool is much safer than fiberglass in the event of an accidental exposure. While not classified as carcinogenic, there is still a question as to whether or not fiberglass can cause cancer, while mineral wool is clearly classified as non-carcinogenic. Cellulose, since it is made from paper, is not fire resistant, and it makes dust.
When it comes to most insulation projects, including soundproofing, mineral wool, which is contained in Roxul insulation, is your best choice.
What Is An R-Value?
The R stands for the Resistance of the insulation material necessary for different climates. Although an R-Value can range from as low as 19 to as high as over 50, the standard requirements are R-30 for warm climates, R-38 for temperate climates, and R-49 for cold climates.
We at Pure Eco use Certainteed Certified insulation products, because they remain effective for a longer time frame than other brands, and our installation specialists can evaluate your individual R-Value needs for your specific project.
Successful soundproof wall installation begins with selecting the right insulation material, but how that material is installed is equally important. We have a 100% satisfaction rate in Los Angeles and the entire Southern California area because:
- We inspect for and eliminate any air leaks before beginning the installation process.
- Ceiling joists are covered to maintain R-Value.
- Thermal bridging through the joists is minimized.
- Blown insulation is even and compact and filled in to the correct depth.
- Spaces are filled in as much as possible and more compactly by blowing over and between joists versus across them.
- If doubling up is required, we maintain the correct R-Value by laying heavier batts first so as not to compress the lighter ones.
- We will cut batts to size whenever necessary rather than simply stuffing them in, causing compression and negatively affecting the R-Value.
Soundproof Insulation Specialists
Your home should be your sanctuary, a place where you can leave the stress of the outside world at your door and envelop yourself in peace and tranquility. Soundproofing simply adds an extra layer between you and all those demands.
Perhaps you need a man cave or she shack to escape the pressures of a busy lifestyle and regroup for a few minutes each day. Maybe you don't want the sound of your kids playing in the game room to drown out the sound of a movie you've been dying to see. Or you like to throw a party every now and again with no worries about complaints from the neighbors. You might need a place to study or to relax in a nice, hot bath with the only sound you hear is your favorite playlist.
The possibilities are endless.
Fortunately, we at Pure Eco know exactly which soundproofing strategy to use for any possible soundproofing usage you can create, and we are dedicated to designing the best solutions for your individual needs.
We can begin the soundproofing installation process by removing your existing insulation if it is wet or causing some other form of hazard. In most cases, however, we recommend leaving your old insulation intact, because it saves time, reduces waste, and increases the overall soundproofing by providing better filling in the spaces between the studs.
Doubling up the drywall is another option for increased soundproofing, along with installing horizontal channels between the studs so your drywall will screw directly into metal and further increase sound dampening. Application of acoustic sealant caulk is a finishing touch that can also help minimize noise.
The Roxul Safe 'N' Sound and the Roxul Comfort Batt we discussed earlier has been proven to be the most effective sound barrier material, backed by scientific research. Sonic researcher, Timothy Hawkins, presented a detailed report to the faculty at California Polytechnic State University in 2014 that explains why certain materials are porous absorbers. This means that sound can be both absorbed and nullified with this material.
Roxul technology takes Hawkins' research even further by actually creating spaces within its insulation for this process to take place. Roxul insulation is manufactured specifically for use in soundproofing.
Because it's a porous absorber, Roxul insulation material transforms sound into heat, which is an efficient way to keep heating costs to a minimum when the temperature dips down into the 40's during Winter evenings here in Southern California.
Contacting a Soundproof Wall Contractor Near Me
At Pure Eco, we look forward to guiding you through the process of designing your soundproofing project and completing it for you using state-of-the-art techniques and materials. Look further through our website to peruse our gallery and see how your dream room can come to life. Then give us a call at 877-778-2551 to schedule your free consultation so you can have your questions answered, including receiving a free estimate.