Hey, big spender! Want to know how to save on energy?
How To Save On Energy
Energy can be very costly, especially in the extreme types of weather. We are either blasting the heat in december, or cranking up the air conditioner in mid July; when the weather is at 102 ℉. Guess what that means? HIGHER ELECTRICAL BILLS! And who wants to spend so much money on the utility bills? We have enough bills in our lives and don't want to add anymore to it.
There are many factors you can do to Save Money on Energy.
Pure Eco specializes in energy, we have all the advice, material, and skills, you need to keep your utility bills at the lowest cost as possible. We can not completely diminish this bill for you of course, but we can most definitely help you reduce as much of the cost as possible. We can not only help you save after we are gone, but during. Doing any home improvements to your home is to better the outcome of your homes performance, but it's a costly thing to do. Pure Eco understands that completely, and we are here to help you save even during the home improvements. I mean what company really cares how much you can save, there mostly interested in how much they can make in the job. Not Pure Eco, true we need to make a profit, but we also what you to have a deal and gain advantages.
Take a look at this pie chart sourced from Energy Star. Gov, what can you tell from this chart? Well you are probably noticing that about almost all of your energy comes from heating (29%) and Cooling ( 17%). So making some home improvements decisions to your home should involve these two areas, if they have not been taken care of already.
What Does Heating and Cooling Improvements Consist of?
Have your heating system inspected by a professional is the first act, that way you know exactly what you are dealing with. Another suggestion we can make is have an energy audit performed at your house. Make sure you do this before the months you utilize the heating/ac unit the most. Pure Eco provides variety of services to help you reduce this major factor of cost with the following service:
- Attic and crawl space cleaning, is a good way to get of all the pollutants and allergies, but also great to clean and sanitize the space, and take a better look as to what’s going on. Removing all the debri can help determine where leaks, cracks, rodents, and other factors are located.
- Air seal, once we cleaned out all the debri, we are able to see the the problems. We will be able to go around the space and seal up any cracks you may have in the area. This is to prevent any air from getting into the house, as well as any desired air you have in the house will remain.
- Rodent Proof, you may be wondering how this reduce cost, but first of all who wants house guest? We definitely do not, even the family members who overstay their visit. Unfortunately, we can not help you with the family houseguest, but we can save you from the pesky rodents. They create holes in the attic or crawlspace, to make their nesting grounds. I mean, hey... free rent, the air is better than outside, and a nice bed of insulation is provided to them. After Pure Eco cleans up the space and examines the area, we will air seal the space as well as rodent proofing the area. We seal up the space with a foam and put a metal gate to reinsure they will not get back inside.
- Air Ducts, might have to be replaced because they have cracks or dirty for example. Pure Eco can replace any air ducts along with the registers. We will hang them up with straps to ensure you are getting a better air flow. It's important to replace your air ducts, because you have had your ducts for a long time, and depending what year they were installed, they may have asbestos; and that’s a no..no.. Other reasons may be they are just too old, and the airflow is just not flowing properly, and the last reason is there leaking air; and the air is going into areas its not desired to go. Remember, your air ducts purpose is to distribute the air from room to room. Its very important that your air ducts are working properly, or youre really just wasting your money by running the heater/AC unit.
- Radiant barrier, acts as a barriers against solar radiation. Living in Southern California, it can get very hot outside especially in the summer time; resulting to a lot of radiation. Radiant barrier prevents the attic or crawlspace from getting excessively hot. When your attic or crawlspace is extremely hot so is your home, and if this is the case guess what you are doing? Thats right you guessed it, your A/C is blasting to cool down the house, and it's raising your energy bills. Pure Eco, can install radiant barrier into your home easily and we use the best out there in the market. The radiant barrier we use is the same kind found on NASA’s astronaut suits. So, it's definitely keeping you protected and keeps the house cool.
- Insulation, the blanket to your home. Pure Eco can replace and install brand new insulation into the walls, attic, ceiling, and crawl space. Think of insulation as foil paper wrapped around a potato. The reason why you wrapped the foil around the potato is to prevent the heat to escape. Same thing goes for insulation, we are wrapping your home to prevent the desired air to stay inside and keep it at the desired temperature. If you have no insulation inside your home or even in a room, you will notice how cold the house or room is compared to a house or room that is insulated. If you have existing insulation you want to make sure that's it's not too old, because the performance become little to none. Another factor may be that the insulation is contaminated by those little creature house guest I mentioned earlier. Since, they made the insulation there bed, you will find it with urine and droppings. This can be dangerous to your health because the fumes are going to into the air, through the air ducts, into the vents, and into your lungs. Check out our Rat Proof page to learn more of the dangers of having rodents as your house guests.
After you get your home improvements done, and everything is paid for, you might be able to qualify for some credits with the IRS, or incentives and rebates with your local gas company such as SoCal.
You will need to fill out a 5695 form and this must be turned in during tax season, and watch the credits roll in. If you have any questions about qualifying for Federal Income Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency contact your tax person.
The rebate programs first step is to fill out the Residential Rebate Program form. Follow the simple instructions and submit the form online. The only thing you will need is an invoice saying that you had the qualified material and service performed in your home, and that the invoice is paid in full. If you have any concerns or question you can Call 1-888-431-2226.
Check this out to see how you might qualify to finance with SoCal. They have made it easier to pay for upgrades with their financing programs; some new opportunities just opened as of 2017 .
Other Ways To Save:
Once the home improvements have been made you can follow these simple guidelines to continue saving…
- Maintain a clean furnace, when furnaces are clean they use less energy and the flow is more efficient.
- Keep items such as furnitures, curtains, and carpets from blocking the registers and air ducts.
- If space is not getting cool or warm use supplement heat, remember appliance takes up 13% and electronic items 4%.
- At night instead of cranking up the heater, use an extra blanket to stay warm.
- Close your attic, basement, and garage doors to keep out the draft.
- Invest in a setback or programmable thermostat, this allows you to automatically turn your temperature up or down at desired times. This can save you up to 20% on energy bills.
- Set your thermostat at 68℉ and when you're not home turn it off or lower it to you 58℉.
- Turn off hot water when you don't need it.
- Once a year, flush out the minerals and sediments by draining your water heater tank. Please check manufacturer's manual before doing so.
- For more advice check out Consumers Energy 100 ways to save energy. They have excellent advice as to what it takes to save energy.
Tip→ During Winter, If you set your ceiling fan to the lowest speed, this will help circulate the warm air around the home and it will make the area feel comfortable.
We want to ensure that you feel confident with the energy efficient changes you do to your house, and realize how stressful it can be. That's why we set you up guidelines to help identify problems and solutions to help you through and after the process. Pure Eco, hopes that if you have any question you will give us a call and we will be more than happy to help you. Our office hours are open Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm (PST). We can provide you excellent customer service as well; quality work.